What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
amvrvd
Regular MemberPosts: 217
Like?
Re: What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
In reply to rpm40, 7 months ago

I use to be a canon G user before m43 ever existed and the reasons for buying a G camera instead of one of their DSLR stand the same today with m43: nice IQ, portability and control. by those standards one would think this camera would be very interesting to me but it isn't. This camera abandons everything that I remember fondly about the G line, mostly the level of controls, and besides, canon has been in vegetative state for years, I lost hope a long time ago, and even if they did something interesting, m43 is way more versatile and has way more choices than anything they might come up with.

The good thing about this camera is that whatever breakthrough it might achieve, the same should apply to m43. By that I mean mostly the lens. Yes, the lens most probably goes into the camera body when collapsed but even so, to achieve a 5x 2.0-39 lens at that size with that sensor inside it means m43 should easily achieve a 3x zoom of the same speed at a reasonable size. And with the appearance of the new pancake kit lenses by Pany and Oly that's more feasible than ever.

I'm tempted by the Oly 12-40mm but if they bring a 12-45mm 2.5-4 I would jump all over it, and this canon brings us a step closer to that.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow