Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
Mk7
Mk7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?
Re: Happy G1 X owners excited about G1 X Mark II?
In reply to howardroark, 10 months ago

howardroark wrote:

Mk7 wrote:

I like what I see.  They kept most of what I liked (big sensor, flex screen, nice lens) and fixed most of what I didn't like (slow lens, lame, bulky VF (finally AXED!), slow AF). Hopefully the sensor tech has improved.  Price is still steep but I'm in the market and don't see anything better out there, for my needs.

Unlike the G1 X (Mark I), this model seems to give higher design priority to challenging other brands (namely, the Sony RX100), rather than safeguarding Rebel and lens sales.  Credit Sony for that.

The G1 X hit the market well before the RX100.

Right, that's why I began the sentence with "unlike the G1 X"

Sony can be credited with shooting lower than the G1 X did in order to be more squarely aimed at a consumer rather than enthusiast market.

The RX100 II (raw, hot shoe, f1.8 lens, "larger" sensor) is just as much an enthusiast camera as the G1 X. The smaller, simpler G1 X Mark II appears to have been designed to respond to lackluster consumer sales in comparison to the RX. According to salespeople at my local brick and mortar store (and DPReview reviewers), the RX's IQ-to-size ratio is most favorable to enthusiasts and pros.

Just because the RX is smaller and lighter doesn't mean they aimed lower.  Its sensor and lens can give comparable and often better results than the G1 X.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow