D800 AF-ON and AF-C

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
fPrime
Contributing MemberPosts: 528Gear list
Like?
Re: Ming Thein found the same thing about AF-C
In reply to ormdig, 8 months ago

ormdig wrote:

"Although Ming Thein to this day still believes the D800 lacks the PDAF focus consistency required for use outside of the studio,". Where does he say this and why?

See here: http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/10/27/nikon-d800e-midterm-report/

Something still doesn’t feel right with the autofocus system.
Although my camera no longer exhibits any asymmetry with its focus points following the recalibration and fix by Nikon Malaysia, it just doesn’t seem to be as positive or accurate as the D700 was (or D600 is now). There are situations in which the camera nails everything perfectly, and situations under which it just seems to miss by a hair; far more of the latter exist than the former. And no combination of AF settings seems to work; this means that the D800 is effectively an unviable proposition to me as a documentary/ reportage camera. Bottom line: I’m not 100% confident that it’s going to focus where I tell it to.

I can’t even get a consistently sharp image unless I’m over 1/2x focal length – and I’m certain I’ve got better technique than average. This, and the size of the files (a throughput issue) make it impractical for a documentary/ travel/ journalism camera.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow