Ian Stuart Forsyth
Senior MemberPosts: 1,678Gear list
Like?
Re: DOF and Cropping take 2
In reply to moving_comfort, 5 months ago

moving_comfort wrote:

awaldram wrote:

As they say proof is in the eating

Bit rough and ready but as your both saying the Q will show 4X more DoF than the K3 precision isn't required to prove your wrong

Where has anyone said that?

So does cropping give the same DoF if the same lens is use irrelvant of sensor?

This proves without any doubt in my opinion a lens characteristic do not alter by sensor size.

I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make with that comparison, and can't know for sure what angle and position you took the shot from, but doesn't the above speak to the following? :

* If you use the same lens on an APS-C crop sensor camera and a 35mm full frame body and crop the full frame 35mm image to give the same view as the APS-C crop image, the depth of field is IDENTICAL

(in this case you're not comparing aps-c to FF, you're comparing Q to aps-c, but same principle.)

In which case the act of cropping (and enlarging) is equalizing things from the original, uncropped image (ie - changing DOF from the original) - as expected, and described by me, Ian, Bob Atkins, Cambridge Tutorials (the 'good' link ) and everyone else who knows what they're talking about?

you for got the great B too!

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list:Ian Stuart Forsyth's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K10D Pentax K20D Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow