What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Jorginho
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,024Gear list
Like?
Re: Of no particular interest to me. 4/3 sensor is meaningless
In reply to honeyiscool, 5 months ago

honeyiscool wrote:

Jorginho wrote:

The 4/3 sensorformat is of interest because it means smaller interchangable lenses. This is not an interchangable cam, so it might be 1", 2"etc.

I am really prejudiced btw. Anything Canon comes up with evoes zero interest in me. One day, I will be wronged by canon for sure. But their sensor underperform underperform and underperform. Their AF is below par, like their sensor (in these kind of cams). Their innovativity is below par too. To me, canon is just blaaahhhh.

I am interested in Sony, Fuji and m43 cams mostly because all these cams do something different and most of the times it is something good.

G1X series has a bigger sensor than 4/3".

Ahh...it is not a significant difference.

I know we all feel jaded about Canon but if this is as good as it looks on paper, it is a huge threat to MFT cameras.

Please.Even if it is perfect, it is a noninterchangable lenscam. It is zero threat. Because of what it is, not how it is excecuted.

Many people never buy anything better than a kit lens

To my mind, this sounds sound but it is not relevant. Because most people who buy a DSLR and then use one kitlens simply are sure they need a DSLR. Most would do fine with a RX100 really. But they buy a APS-c DSLR, like the D3200 etc. Canon is not going ot change this one bit.

, and the lens on the G1X is much better than any MFT kit lens, and with a bigger sensor.

EOS-M has abigger sensor, Canon APS-cDSLR have bigger sensors. Bigger. What does it mean if it is not better?

Macro down to 5 cm. It delivers exactly what a lot of people want from a compact camera but in a more serious package than an RX100.

It does not deliver what a lot of people want. A lot of people want an interchangable lenscam, most of all a DSLR. BEcause they think they need it.

Perhaps it's the camera Sony should have made instead of the RX10.

Sony did their work and have made their sensor so good that inspite of it being 1/3 of the size of the Canon APS-cs it performs on par! And with this smaller sensor, they can get a zoom range from 28-200 mm a f2.8, weathersealed also. With very good video. Sony did something really different, really well. It remains to be seen how the G1XMarkII will fare.

Jorginho's gear list:Jorginho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow