D800 AF-ON and AF-C

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 691Gear list
Like?
Re: Ming Thein found the same thing about AF-C
In reply to fPrime, 9 months ago

fPrime wrote:

Although Ming Thein to this day still believes the D800 lacks the PDAF focus consistency required for use outside of the studio, he reported the same finding about AF-C being more accurate than AF-S:

"Previously, I used single point AF-S for static subjects, and 51-point dynamic 3D tracking AF-C for everything else. I could lock on with the center point, focus and recompose, and everything would be fine. It seemed like a good starting point for the D800.

Turns out I was wrong. Single point AF-C is MUCH more accurate and slightly faster than 51-point dynamic 3D. It’s solved a good number of my AF issues. Remains to try it out tonight when the light gets low to see if performance is improved under those conditions too."

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/03/24/a-quick-note-on-nikon-d800-autofocus/

Hi, I never use AF-s so can't comment. I have no problems in very low light with the D800 in AF-c single point. However I have 3 friends with 70Ds that have found AF-s (or whatever Canon calls it) and either area mode worse than useless in low light. It continually picks the wrong subject (higher contrast?). I would think that any camera is being severely tested in these conditions. My D90 and D7000 hunted badly in very low light, the D800 doesn't.

Also Ming mentions success previously with focus and recompose. Focus and recompose at a wide aperture, which I would think he is using in low light, would be suspect anyway.

"Although Ming Thein to this day still believes the D800 lacks the PDAF focus consistency required for use outside of the studio,". Where does he say this and why?

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow