Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,821Gear list
Like?
Re: DOF and Cropping take 2
In reply to Ian Stuart Forsyth, 10 months ago

Ian Stuart Forsyth wrote:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm

Its kind of funny as Cambridge Tutorials has got this right and even their calculator is correct as this is what I used who would have thunk EH

Yep they seem to know what there talking about despite MC's bunk

as they say on the page you refer

"Be warned that both of these terms can be somewhat misleading. The lens focal length does not change just because a lens is used on a different sized sensor — just its angle of view. A 50 mm lens is always a 50 mm lens, regardless of the sensor type."

And just above they state exactly the point I;ve been making

"As sensor size increases, the depth of field will decrease for a given aperture (when filling the frame with a subject of the same size and distance). This is because larger sensors require one to get closer to their subject, or to use a longer focal length in order to fill the frame with that subject."

i.e you alter the magnification to maintain size therefore altering CoC and intern reducing DoF.

as they state

"Note that the above calculator assumes that you have a lens on the new sensor (#2) which can reproduce the same angle of view as on the original sensor (#1). If you instead use the same lens, then the aperture requirements remain the same (but you will have to get closer to your subject)."

Again exactly what I've been saying

& it looks like I am late to the party

-- hide signature --

Here are a few of my favorite things...
---> http://www.flickr.com/photos/95095968@N00/sets/72157626171532197/

-- hide signature --

The Camera is only a tool, photography is deciding how to use it.
The hardest part about capturing wildlife is not the photographing portion; it’s getting them to sign a model release

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow