Why Do People Avoid Refurbished Models? (D3200)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
larrytusaz
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
Why Do People Avoid Refurbished Models? (D3200)
5 months ago

A previous long-time Nikon DSLR user (most recently the D5100 about 6 months ago), I agreed to a purchase of a refurbished Nikon D3200 kit (less than 20 shutter firings) for $365, they bought it from Adorama. For kiddie portraits (ages 5 & 7) I'm also grabbing the 35mm 1.8 DX. I otherwise use a Sony NEX-F3 kit (also with a 50mm OSS and Sigma 30mm 2.8) and a Nikon J1 as an "everyday" model (and for the wife) rounds my collection.

This is an experiment of sorts for me, me doing a "trial return" back to DSLR land, as most of the past year I used my Sony NEX a lot more than I did my D5100, but I just "feel" ready to try out using DSLRs again (as I was doing for many years) and with that low of a price on the D3200 I figured why not. (Also I checked and the Lightroom 4 software I have will work with its NEF files.)

However, if it doesn't work out, then of course I'd be looking to sell it. (Among other things I'm considering changing the F3 to the smaller 3N and the 18-55 to the collapsible 16-50 which would make the NEX package smaller.) I know I could sell the 35mm 1.8 DX just like that, but the D3200, with it being refurbished, I don't know. It seems as though all you have to do is tell someone your camera is refurbished, and suddenly they avoid it like leprosy. I had such an issue when I sold my D5100 last year (it was a B&H refurb kit) and likewise when I sold my D5000 a year or so prior to that. Also, this D3200, it was listed for DAYS and no one seemed the least bit interested, when that seems like a pretty good price to me.

What gives? Should I not even tell people it's refurbished if I sell it, as one person suggested?

-- hide signature --

LRH

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Nikon 1 J1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +2 more
Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D3200 Nikon D5000 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-F3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow