What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
honeyiscool
Contributing MemberPosts: 953Gear list
Like?
Re: Too late
In reply to Dheorl, 9 months ago

Dheorl wrote:

JeanPierre Martel wrote:

Canon is still a market leader, like IBM was 30 years ago. It has huge number of very talented people working for that company. But it's leaders are petrified. Unable to react quickly to the turmoil of a market shaken by a technological revolution: the advent of mirrorless cameras.

The big-sensor P&S cameras is a good idea but that's too late. All the P&S market will be eaten by Smart phones (at the low-end) and by ILCs (at the other end).

When smartphones can match the performance of the current large sensor compacts that might happen, atm though they're nowhere near so I think companies still have a fair window to make money from them.

Also I see a lot of photographers who have a large DSLR and the a small but larger sensor compact. I don't see phones replacing that.

Of course, many naive people will pay 800$ for that. But as soon as they will be more knowledgeable about photography, they'll realize that they made a very bad deal.

In a couple of years, Canon will eventually give unsold unit at discount price. And at 100$-250$, it will be a good deal. But 800$: LOL !!!

I think it's a pretty fair price for what you're getting tbh.

Yeah, I actually think $800 is a really good deal by M43 standards. I mean, the only fast wide angle we have is... $800, and Canon gives you a lens that has those specs at the wide end, plus it zooms. And has a sensor bigger than a 4/3" sensor behind it. So how is that overpriced?

honeyiscool's gear list:honeyiscool's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow