Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mooney3
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Am I crazy, I ditched my Nikon gear for a RX100 II today
6 months ago

Hello all, my first post here, just joined after spending the last month reviewing posts here. I love this forum and website.

Up until yesterday my plan was to sell my Nikon SLR gear and get some Nikon high end P&S cameras, Cool Pix P7700 & P7800, maybe a Panasonic LX7 instead of one of the Nikons. I find I've been leaving the big SLR gear at home and using my Smartphone most often. It wasn't a conscience decision, just how it's been happening for the last few years. I felt lost and uncomfortable without a camera with pro features, and even more so thinking about shooting events and shows I plan to be spending more time attending going forward. So  I made the decision to move to more portable high end P&S type Nikon gear. I've always had and have always been a Nikon user and fan, so I was really trying to stay with Nikon gear for my move to more portable equipment. That move is because I am more mobile nowadays and can't always bring camera bags full of gear.

Stage two of this move has been reviewing Nikon P&S gear here on DP Review, which lead to some interesting revelations....the new P&S Nikon gear may not be the best equipment for my needs and ongoing use, a really painful discovery LOL. I was lead to a possible compromise and started to look at the Panasonic LX7 because of the faster 1.4 lens as a second camera in place of one of the Nikons for a little flexibility which sounded good being that I was giving up interchangeable lens cameras at this time in my photo journey.

Reviewing other brands brought me to the Sony RX100 and RX100 II yesterday here in the reviews and comparisons section of the site. I thought and reviewed more info online for the last 24 hours. The RX100 II has a extremely compelling story here, and before I knew it I was on the line with a shop selling my Nikon gear and buying the RX100 II. I should have it later this week. I did verify that I have 14 days to return it no questions asked in case I absolutely hate the camera. I doubt that will be the case, but my biggest concern was zoom range and familiar controls (I have yet to get use to P&S menus and prefer the larger cameras with dials and buttons similar to my SLR gear). The larger sensor and image quality helped resolve my concern on zoom range. The complicated menus and non-SLR like controls is the only item I think will be hard to get use to. I'm taking a huge chance and plan to give the RX100 II a real shot and plan to learn all the controls quickly.

So am I crazy or will I be extremely happy with my decision to abandon Nikon P&S gear for a Sony RX100 II. I guess I have 2 weeks to decide

Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YESNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow