What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?
10 months ago

The rumor mill is starting to pin down how the new Canon G1X will turn out, and it looks like the new model will have a slightly smaller sensor, even closer to m4/3 size (a 1.92x crop, in fact). With such similar sensor dimensions, it makes me wonder how it will compare to existing m4/3, and also if it will satisfy those looking for a fixed lens m4/3 equivalent. I think it will be a serious consideration for those people.

Specs:

Smaller size than G1X with reduced external controls (size should be similar to, say, e-pl5 with pancake)

Approx 1.4" sensor, 13.1 megapixels

Lens: 24-120mm 2.0-3.9 with built in lens cap

Tilting touch LCD

Wifi with NFC and remote wireless control

Built in flash, no OVF, hotshoe w/ optional EVF

Interchangable grips

5cm macro mode

Price probably $799ish

I think it's a very interesting package. Essentially the size of an m4/3 with pancake lens, but with a fast and versatile lens built in. No lens switching, no lens caps, it should even have a built in ND filter like the GX1/S series. This sounds like a really convenient all around shooter.

If it turns out to be as good as it sounds, I might be tempted. What do you think?

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow