14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,575Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 9 months ago

I did not read the other replies, so forgive me if this is a repeat of something someone else has said.

I have the 18-55 and the 35 mm f1.4. I bought the 14 mm before the 23 mm came out. The 14 mm is such a beautiful lens that I look for opportunities to use it. Furthermore the focal length is something I don't otherwise have. I have just finished a Blurb book that documents the small city where I live, Falls Church, VA. The lens that saw the most use was the 14 mm. The pictures, themselves, are on my pbase site, http://www.pbase.com/jcassatt/falls_church.  With a bit of advertising, I hope I can sell enough books to pay for the lens.

By contrast, I have no urge to buy the 23 mm, as good as it is.  That is a focal length that I use mainly for landscapes.  Stopped down, the 18-33 is really an excellent lens for that purpose.  Where I use wide apertures is when I take portraits.  For that the 35 1.4 and 60 2.4 work well.  In the absence of a good flash system, I will probably forego the 56 1.2 when it comes out as the 60 mm is so good.

Just my thoughts.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow