Weather sealing user’s expectations

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob Corson
Senior MemberPosts: 2,240Gear list
Like?
Re: Ah - so now we're reconfiguring the language ....
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 7 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

emem wrote:

Does it not occur to you that Leopold lives in Canada and obviously copes very well with extremely cold conditions on a regular basis?

And again I ask, Zvonimir - on what authority do you draw for this broad ranging information of the weather resistance (or otherwise) of Pentax? And who actually wrote the text?

How cold affects the camera performance?

The major problem is condensation, again, and I was recollecting many points written so far in this forum, in this way or another. You may acknowledge them, or disregard like some irrelevant thread, the choice is yours.

Actually condensation is not a problem when you are in the cold but rather when you GO in FROM the cold. I have spent many hours shooting in the cold and the real problem is battery life and keeping fingers warm while operating the controls! Not once have I had a condensation issue in the cold . . .

However, it seems many users expect their camera to work beyond any reasonable proposition, and I have read many times that some users presume letters WR stand for “water resistant”, although it is not so.

Really so you don't think that WR implies or provides any water resistence??! It certainly does.

Many things in amateur photography are presumed by owners. Some also believe Pentax cameras may be used with any lens and as long the camera is sealed, everything will be all right. Although it will not.

Some deliberately abuse WR lenses and soak their equipment in torrential rain, expecting everything will be all right. And so forth.

Do you not recall some of the Pentax ads with water dripping off the K 30 and other bodies . . . check out the website. So some of these expectations have been set up by Pentax. People need to be smart enough to treat their equipment properly.

Yet if the problem comes, the culprit was always .. something else.

Sometimes user's concern is fully legitimate, as to what extent and on what basis they may ask for a warranty claim, specially when the Pentax camera system is proudly advertised as usable in all weather? Shall Ricoh Imaging nullify all claims? Where are user's rights?

where is the evidence that Ricoh nullify's all claims??? In fact didn't you start off your thread with praise for a replacement of a problem camera???!!!!

So this thread starts on some answers, but also invites for more investigation and cooperation among users to help themselves by sharing more relevant information they can benefit from.

Not really as much of what you have presented is inaccurate. Fortunately some intelligent users have added some correct info if people take the time to read all the replies.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

-- hide signature --

Bob Corson
To truly see one must open their mind as well as their eyes

Bob Corson's gear list:Bob Corson's gear list
Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow