Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vkyr2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,424Gear list
Like?
V1 + 18.5mm and flash for closer indoor portraits
8 months ago

The 18.5mm is the usual N1 standard lens I mostly use on a V1, since it gives a good overall common balance of color rendition and sharpness, especially under dimmer indoor conditions. Though under very dark indoor conditions you will still have to use flash in order to get usable exposers. Under very dim lighting conditions I use the little SB-N5 here, which generally has the tendency to underexpose together with the V1 + 18.5mm combo. It's best usage for portrait like shots is therefor due to my personal experiences more for closeups, where the distance to your subject isn't that far and the amount of light emitted will still be enough for a main face exposer. - When in doubt and under very dim and difficult to handle conditions it's always good to shoot RAW instead, so you later have better possibilities to fine tune towards a right looking exposer and overcome any possible underexposing due to flash limitations.

Some recently made closeup portrait shots with the above mentioned combo...

-- hide signature --

Valentino

Nikon 1 V1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow