Weather sealing user’s expectations

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,628Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly off topic! But still about water ingress.
In reply to tcom, 8 months ago

tcom wrote:

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Fog when near the sea can contain salt and as I stated in my last post can pass through the seals as their protection by surface tension no longer functions and re-condenses inside to stay for ever (salt will never evaporate) and even if the camera functions for a while, it's days are numbered.

Sea fog is the worst!

Yes, I agree.

Just for info, I had the corroded parts analyzed by a lab specialized in magnesium alloys to find the origin of the problem. While I used the K-5 IIs at water front in Swakopmund (so sea fog), salt was not involved, instead, the lab found some amounts of barium... I have no idea where this barium is coming from.

-- hide signature --

--Hi,

Barium Wow! It is sometimes used in lead/solder which could have been the source but there many uses of Barium in industry including evacuating air from fluorescent and TV tubes and no doubt it's presence is likely to be in electronic components and the like. It is to some extent radioactive and also resists the passage of radioactivity from passing through it, hence "barium meal" was used for showing the passage of food through the human digestive system on a radioactive scanner, I remember my mother had one.

Apparently Barium 132 has a half life of considerably longer than the existence of the universe!

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow