14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Jim Radcliffe
Forum ProPosts: 11,417Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)
In reply to arcaswissi99, 10 months ago

arcaswissi99 wrote:

Hi Jim,

I´ve bought both a week ago because I return into the Fuji boat

Both lenses are great in my opinion. Unfortunately you can´t compare them.

If sharpness is everything I´d go with the 14mm which is one of the best wide angles I´ve ever tried and believe me these were quite a few. No distortion what fun not to worry about any distortion correction in Lightroom or other progs. Very good against sun for such a wide lens. Color correction! - I hate fringing and this lens is almost free of any longitudinal or lateral chrom. aberration.

If versatility is your thing, go with the 23mm. You have a lens with nice bokeh, with 1,4 perfect for reportage, really nice color rendering - softer than 14mm, also very low distortion. Unfortunately some locas which can be difficult to get rid off and without testing scientific probably a bit less sharp but no slouch - some of my last flickr photos are made with the 23mm - this one with f 2.0

For me I decided to want both plus the 56/1,2 and the 55-200. Looking forward to getting my X-T1.

-- hide signature --

Erni
www.flickr.com/photos/arcaswissi

Erni, thanks for the input... by the way, I preordered the 56mm the day it was announced.  I have been using a 30 year old Minolta Rokkor PG 58mm f/1.2.. but it is quite soft, weighs a ton and produces a lovely "glow".. but from what I have seen the Fuji 56mm will provide just what I am looking for... and it has autofocus.

The sensible side of me says go with the 14.. but the GAS says that 23 has great bokeh and color and.. it's probably just the devil on my should talking to me.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

Jim Radcliffe's gear list:Jim Radcliffe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-E2 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow