Direct comparison Oly 12-40mmF2.8 with Oly 12-50mmF3.5-6.3?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
Forum ProPosts: 21,980
Like?
In real life, it performed as I hoped it would.
In reply to RoelHendrickx, 5 months ago

RoelHendrickx wrote:

The Oly 12-40 F2.8 arrived this morning.

Very good look and feel on the camera. Everything works smoothly. Caps, hood etc are well designed, with special mention for the manual focus ring (pull backwards).

Never mind the pixelpeeping tripod tests, that are intended mainly to make sure that I did not receive a lemon of a lens.

The real proof of the pudding is in eating in a real-world setting, not in laboratory testing.

So after the afternoon of tripod fun, I took the new 12-40 on my E-M5 with me to the dress rehearsal of a theatre play, with the ZD35-100 on E-5 for the longer shots (I cannot sing the praises of that combo well enough : I get my very best stage production shots with it).

Let me just tell you : no more ZD12-60 on E-3 as second camera for me.

The 12-40 on E-M5 does better in many ways.  the aperture speed is there and autofocus is instant, while the E-M5 can go two stops higher in ISO before it reaches my uncomfort zone (no problem with ISO800 on E-3, and with ISO3200 on E-M5; the E-5 sits inbetween at ISO1600 for its auto-ISO ceiling).

Unfortunately I cannot show any photos of yesterday (yet) in open forum (nor even in my web pages, because the theatre production will only have its opening night next Friday and obviously the company does not want to spoil the surprise of its simply gorgeous costume and make up designs, so you will have to take my word: really satisfying results from the 12-40 on E-M5.

I will definitely post some of the photos once I have finished processing and the embargo is lifted.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: www.roelh.zenfolio.com
my E-3 user field report from Tunisian Sahara: http://www.biofos.com/ukpsg/roel.html

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow