14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,451Gear list
Like?
Re: 14mm or 23mm... (and I hardly ever do this)
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, 7 months ago

The 14mm is an excellent lens, but to me I think I would prefer the large aperture of the 23mm. That being said I don't really like the 23mm focal length all that much (depends on what I am using it for). The 14mm I think would be better for architecture and the 23mm for environmental portraits.

I haven't tested the 23mm, but I really liked the 14mm: http://erphotoreview.com/wordpress/?p=3862

The Zeiss 12mm lens is good too, but with the discounts now on the 14mm I would probably pick it instead (but the Zeiss is notably wider). When I rented the two I tended to pick up the Zeiss because of the wider field of view, but the size of the Fuji and manual focus feel is much better.

The only point to make is the 14mm will not make stars from the aperture when you stop down, it is too circular, so if you want night cityscapes with starlights you would have to add them in post with the Fuji.

I would probably buy the 10-24mm instead, but given the current discounts that is a tough decision.  The 14mm is a sweet lens for the small size and optical quality.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow