>>> Street Photography eXchange #84 <<<

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,163Gear list
Like?
Thanks, Troi, Happy, ANT
In reply to oneANT, 7 months ago

It's very useful for me to see people's reactions.   Harsh is fine.

Of course, I know and respect the view that photos should speak for themselves.   But it's not the only view, and it's clearly not the view I am experimenting with by combining poem and photo. 
If you've missed earlier discussions, I am inspired by the fact that Chinese and Korean and Japanese art has always had words and images on the same surface, and that image derives from calligraphy, since brush work is used for both word and image, and since language is written in pictographic style in the Chinese tradition.

There are 3 sources of human-ness in a photo.  The human-ness of what is captured, the human-ness of the photographer and the human-ness of the viewer.   So photos of empty chairs have been a staple of street photography, since the chair makes us think of the human body that will sit in it, and of the soul that body contains.   In this picture, the poem makes human the tree branches.   I'm not saying it's anything but clumsy.  But if it did work, seeing the branches would make us think of our mortal bodies and their footprint in time.   If the branches worked that way, they would become the human-ness of the photo.   And the creator's, and the viewer/reader's meditation would create the human-ness of the experience.  There would be no need for pedestrians for human-ness to be present in the image.

It is really valuable to see how my intentions are understood, even if it is the opposite of what I hoped for.

I hope over time that these efforts will be less awkward, and that people on the thread will connect better with what I'm trying to do, whatever it turns out to be.   I hope it will be a fun journey.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
smsNew
RedNew
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow