Canon G1X M2 pics....?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the loss of the Flip LCD is a disaster...
In reply to WT21, 8 months ago

I've used both. Vastly prefer the flippy LCD over vari-angle.

You never answered Melands question (which was mine) -- do you have anything to back-up the assertion that the only reason the flippy LCD is in there is to save costs.

Also, why is it assumed to be cheaper than vari-angle? It's actually a complicated set of mechanisms, especially given the selfie-option over the top (which for me, is a waste, but there you go).

I'll chime in here... I remember that Sony used the Tilt-LCD screens on some of their cameras because of costs in the mid-2000s.  On a Still camera (non-video), Canon appeared to own the Patents for Flip-Vari-Angle-LCDs and refused to part with the Patent or share it with the other camera manufacturers... the same as their Optical Image Stabilizers (which forced the other manufacturers to come up with their inferior "Anti-Shake" stabilization method.

So yeah, I'm inclined to believe that the Cost difference was likely a driving factor.  We're talking pennies and dollars here but by keeping costs (especially parts and R&D costs) down, it benefits the shareholders.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Heh!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow