Weather sealing user’s expectations

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
jhmos
Regular MemberPosts: 114Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly off topic! But still about water ingress.
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 5 months ago

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi,

Sea water is the real risk to DSLRs as the salt combined with the voltage in a camera can in a matter of minutes, destroy a circuit board or at least some of it. I remember when sailing alone from the south of France to Corsica at night when a rogue wave broke over the cockpit some of it passing into the boat and falling on my ghetto blaster to which I was listening to pass the time. It instantly stopped and I dismantled it within minutes (leaving the boat on auto pilot) to find a little water on one of the smaller circuit boards inside. The sea water combined with the voltage had already eaten through two of the copper tracks on the board ( in three or four minutes), I rinsed it and with a wet rag wiped the remaining interior ensuring no salt water remained, then re-soldered the tracks, reassembled it and away it went again.

Fog when near the sea can contain salt and as I stated in my last post can pass through the seals as their protection by surface tension no longer functions and re-condenses inside to stay for ever (salt will never evaporate) and even if the camera functions for a while, it's days are numbered.

Sea fog is the worst!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

What you say makes sense.

There is, however this from page 7 of the Pentax Lens Brochure:

Everywhere you go, PENTAX’s protective seals in the
WR lenses will handle rain, sea spray, humid tropical
climates, snow, sand and even dust.

People might be forgiven for taking Pentax's claim at face value.

jhmos's gear list:jhmos's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow