Canon G1X M2 pics....?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Marco Nero
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,055Gear list
Like?
Re: Why the loss of the Flip LCD is a disaster...
In reply to meland, 8 months ago

meland wrote:

Couldn't you have achieved all of those shots with just an angled LCD? OK, I appreciate a vari angled screen is going to be ultimately more flexible for a percentage of users but maybe there are reasons for not going with it that we don't know about yet?

When shooting close to the ground, a flip-LCD screen enables you to adjust for reflections and bright light much more than a tilt screen. Sometimes when shooting on a narrow surface it's necessary to flip the screen to the side and if shooting a model (human) it's great to be able to flip the screen around and show them the results or to ask them to adjust. I think that any mechanical parts requiring power risk damage from wear to the electrical wiring, especially where twisting and flexing occur. That said, I've only seen one LCD requite a repair for this kind of damage and it was a non-Canon video camera. Surely it's less expensive to have a completely fixed screen like the G7.  But that twist LCD was always a big seller for Canon and is very popular with new users and old die-hards.

The new camera has a tilt-and-slide LCD.  This appears to be enabled to allow the user to take selfies or tilt the screen for shooting in crowds overhead.  I'm not sure if it tilts the other way - to allow the user to look down at it - but I would assume it does.  It it's a touch screen, this might account for the need to make such a solid, glossy LCD screen.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

--
Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Heh!New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow