Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,759Gear list
Like?
Re: What are advantages of Df over D600/D610
In reply to Patrick McMahon, 5 months ago

Patrick McMahon wrote:

MisterHairy wrote:

I am not sure what the small image is showing that differentiates the Df though. With that much downsampling, my A7r could easily match that (albeit with more pleasing colours). Heck, even my iPhone could get close to that when shrunk down so much.

It would probably be helpful to read the thread. You can take note of my earlier comments and then, when you arrive at my posted photo you will see that it was in reply to a request for a 12800 shot from the Df. I think the colors are excellent considering the only lighting came from those Christmas lights!

I think you provided an excellent example of my earlier comments with your knee jerk response.

+1

I have no trouble spotting the color held in that pic. Additionally my two pics (at 12800 and 25600) can be opened as originals and it's easy to see the differences, noise, slight color shift and so on.

The D800 and D600 are very good low-light cameras. The Df is better. Is it hugely better? I'd say no, but that doesn't mean I want to use the inferior tool regardless of the margins of improvement.

People here will often may 3 times more for lenses that offer even smaller margins of improvement and in very rare instances.

The biggest issue I have with the D600 and D800 sensors is the color shift at higher ISO. It's PLAINLY visible at higher ISO. It's not all that easy to correct, unless you have the actual scene nearby (or a Df shot) as a color reference.

Meanwhile, the "usual suspects" will eagerly heap compliments on "down sampled" D600/D800 shots, but curiously go blind with shots from the Df.

MisterHairy is a good guy; he's just mad with Nikon for not hiring him as a consultant on the Df design.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow