What are advantages of Df over D600/D610

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
BasiliskPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 730
Like?
Re: What are advantages of Df over D600/D610
In reply to chooflaki, 10 months ago

chooflaki wrote:

Using lenses to non native cameras is a pain in the backside. Too many compromises and I have tried it. I looked at the Sony.A7. The system is far too immature compared to DSLR's at the moment and no OVF which for me is a deal breaker.

The OVF question - everyone will have a preference, so I won't argue with you there. For me, with manual focus lenses, I find live view is my most reliable way of taking in-focus images. The OVF focussing screen is not crisp enough, and the range finder dot is OK if the object is completely static, but focus points never seem to be in the right place with a moving subject - human or animal.

I have turned my D600 into a sort of makeshift A7, by sticking a focus loupe on the LCD. If I turn up sharpness on the picture controls (doesn't affect the raw file) I can see the sharp edges buzz when in focus, a bit like focus peaking. And I get true DOF preview, and I can see which edges are sharp, wherever they are in the frame, without having to focus and recompose.

I find I need the loupe for this approach, as my near vision is not as good as it was; strong reading glasses are another option, but the loupe (a cheap Chinese one) allows me to rest the camera against my eye, so the ergonomics are not bad.

You can argue it would make more sense just to buy an A7, but I have to work with what I have, and I do use AF lenses too.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow