Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rob Stuart
Regular MemberPosts: 174
Like?
Actuation counter devalues modern Nikon camera's
5 months ago

I'm trying to sell my D7000 after two years of use. Its in mint condition in original packaging and with all the standard accessories.

The moment I had in an advert the immediate response I received from potential buyers is how many clicks does it have?
Not knowing what this question was all about I learned quickly that I was forced to list the actuation count. It turned out that my camera showed 32K actuations to date.

9 out of 10 buyers responded, no thanks I will look further.

I'm a bit puzzled about this situation. The D7000 is specified by Nikon for at least 150K actuations. This means that more then 118,000 actuations are still possible with my D7000. Most likely the majority of users will not reach the maximum actuations in the economical life of the D7000.

I do not see why for consumer camera's this actuation counter is made public. 99% of the users will not reach the end of the actuation life cycle.

Canon camera's do not make the actuation counter public. Only maintenance staff have access to this data. Most likely a Canon will therefor have a more constant and less depreciated value then a Nikon.

I seriously question why Nikon is demolishing the value of their (my) camera. Its a killer for the write off value when bringing the camera to the second hand market.

Rob / the Netherlands.

Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow