Weather sealing user’s expectations

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,445Gear list
Like?
Slightly off topic! But still about water ingress.
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 5 months ago

Hi,

Sea water is the real risk to DSLRs as the salt combined with the voltage in a camera can in a matter of minutes, destroy a circuit board or at least some of it. I remember when sailing alone from the south of France to Corsica at night when a rogue wave broke over the cockpit some of it passing into the boat and falling on my ghetto blaster to which I was listening to pass the time. It instantly stopped and I dismantled it within minutes (leaving the boat on auto pilot) to find a little water on one of the smaller circuit boards inside. The sea water combined with the voltage had already eaten through two of the copper tracks on the board ( in three or four minutes), I rinsed it and with a wet rag wiped the remaining interior ensuring no salt water remained, then re-soldered the tracks, reassembled it and away it went again.

Fog when near the sea can contain salt and as I stated in my last post can pass through the seals as their protection by surface tension no longer functions and re-condenses inside to stay for ever (salt will never evaporate) and even if the camera functions for a while, it's days are numbered.

Sea fog is the worst!

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow