Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,777
Like?
What isn't there to like about the GM1
5 months ago

Not much really and what there is is mainly small size related.

The grip takes a bit of getting used to and gets progressively harder the more the left hand is kept busy with larger lenses and winding focus rings if they are manual.  It would be interesting to see if there are some recommended ways to hold the little camera with different right hand grips.

One thing that occurs to me is that if the shutter button was mounted in the top part of the front plate (facing forwards) then a better pincer-grip could be made between fingers and thumb.

In any case when the camera is so small and can potentially be sidelined by the lens size some creative design might be necessary rather than just shrinking the area proportionately from a larger camera body.

At first I was not troubled by the false presses when rotating the compass dial as several reviewers commented upon.I confess that my twirling action has let me down on a few occasions recently.

No hot-shoe is a real bother as it precludes fitting a hot-shoe mounted Clearviewer device. I have bought the tripod mounted one of the folding variety but it is not as easily demounted as the hot-shoe version and tends to get in the way when it is not actually needed for the type of shooting being done.

Whilst the Clearviewer is great for focus and framing help with MF lenses and good on all lenses in bright light situations it would be extra nice if it could be easily slipped off the camera when not actually needed.

The good points of this camera are legion - "full size" latest M4/3 sensor and all that this brings, full M4/3 lens compatibility including the ability to mount focal reducer adapters.  Great depth of firmware including a well integrated touch screen.

If it were bigger then the size related problems would go away - but then it would be a GX7 and have a built in evf as well.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow