Weather sealing user’s expectations

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
tcom
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,992Gear list
Like?
Re: Weather sealing user’s expectations
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, 9 months ago

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

TIP NO. 1 — WHEN WARRANTY WILL BE NULLIFIED?

Any warranty will be nullified by the manufacturer if the damage to a camera was caused by moist that creeped in when using the K-3 with a non-weather-resistant lens. It is plain common sense, right?

You seem to have another description of the warranty than I have. Ricoh mentions clearly:

Service will be rendered, and defective parts will be replaced without cost to you within that period, provided the equipment does not show evidence of impact, sand or liquid damage, mishandling, tampering, battery or chemical corrosion, operation contrary to operating instructions, or modification by an unauthorized repair shop.

Ricoh is not interested to know if you used a weather sealed lens or not, if there is evidence of liquid damage, the warranty is voided. I guess they do it on an individual basis, but the warranty conditions allow them to cancel the warranty in case of water ingress. They are not even interested to know whether water entered the camera through lens mount (non WR lens) or through defective seals.

TIP NO. 4. TEST YOUR K-3!

If you have a WR or a DA* lens, go out and test your K-3. Be mindful of designations and what to expect from each. Do it right away, so if there is any problem with camera’s seals, you will notice it in time, and have the camera repaired or replaced when it’s still well under warranty.

Given the extract from the warranty description of Ricoh I mentionned above, I strongly warn from testing the weather sealing. How will you argue if Ricoh claims you tested outside the limits of what the seals can resist?

TIP NO. 6. LET THE EQUIPMENT DRY WELL BEFORE OPENING.

When you come home, or into your shelter, do not unmount your lens immediately. Wipe the camera and lens with dry cloth, and let the camera and lens dry slowly and completely. Only then, after an hour or two at a stabilised temperature with no excessive humidity around that may creep inside the camera, unmount the lens.

Wow, how are the people in South East Asia or Central America going to change the lens? I guess they are stucked with the kit lens...

Digital cameras are far more susceptible to moist damage than their film counterparts. Thus even when designated as weather-resistant, digital cameras are more likely to suffer from condensation if you are not conscious about

I will take this a step further...

I used a four months old K-5 IIs with DA15 during two hours in the fog. Six months later, the corrosion, caused by the humidity entering through the defective AF/MF switch, killed the camera.

It happened in a place I photographed already in previous years quite a few time, most in pretty much the same conditions, the usual fog on the waterfront of Swakopmund, Namibia.

I used a *istD with FAJ 18-35, this camera is still perfectly working. I used also a K100D with DA16-45, which is also still in perfect working conditions.

It was finally a weather sealed camera which did not survive these conditions.

My guess is that humidity probably entered all three cameras, *istD, K100D and K-5 IIs. But the seals of the K-5 IIs kept the humidity inside and caused the corrosion.

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Pentax 645D Nikon D4 Leica M Typ 240 Pentax K-3 +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow