Former Canon user moving to a77, question about lenses.

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,126Gear list
Like?
Re: Former Canon user moving to a77, question about lenses.
In reply to CTR1, 10 months ago

In response to another comment on the thread. The Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8s are cheaper alternatives to the Sony DT 16-50mm f/2.8. However when you get the 16-50mm in a kit with the A77 the difference is smaller.

• A77 body only $800
  • DT 16-50mm f/2.8 $800
  • Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 $570
  • Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 $500

Lenses together with the body:

• A77 + 16-50mm f/2.8 kit $1400
  • A77 + Sigma 17-50mm separately $1370
  • A77 + Tamron 17-50mm separately $1300

The difference between these lenses is a popular topic in this forum. If you search past threads you'll find a lot of discussions. There are people that have traded the Sony 16-50mm for the Sigma and Tamron and vice versa. There isn't a clear winner because people that have had both tend to have varying opinions. One thing that the Sony has over the others is that it's weather resistant.

In regards to the stiffness you seem to have seen in the store copy you tried, the 16-50mm is usually stiff out of the box, but this goes away over time. However it may still be too stiff to smoothly zoom with video, which might have something to do with the internal environmental seals. But that's just a guess. Personally I haven't had much trouble with my copy, but i guess it depends on your preference.

If you're not aware, there have been deals off and on for the A77 with a free battery grip. I still see those options at B&H. However they also have options without the grip that cost the same price, so wherever you buy it, check for that.

Besides dyxum.com, kurtmunger.com has a lot of thorough reviews with samples for A-mount lenses. The following is a very informative article that discusses what the good and not so good lenses are available for the A-mount including a rundown of some choice Minolta AF glass:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/an-introduction-to-the-alpha-mount-by-kelly-davis/

Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow