Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jm10
Senior MemberPosts: 1,157Gear list
Like?
Dell U2713HM setup
8 months ago

My apologies in advance for the noob questions...this has been discussed before, I looked thru it but still a bunch of questions remain.

I am planning to replace 225bw Samsung SyncMaster (that is barely alive) with a U2713HM. sRGB performance should be quite adequate. From what I have seen so far there are several ways to set up the monitor:

a) the easy way - select the monitor's pre-calibrated sRGB mode and use it as is. Not sure what is the role of the video card here? Should it be reset to its default settings? Is the default Gamma linear? If I am not mistaken the monitor is calibrated for Gamma = 2.2, Color Temp around 6000k (not 6500k) and Luminance = 120 cd/m sq. I don't have any ICC profiles so there is nothing to reset I believe.

If I want to adjust the luminance do I adjust it on the monitor or the video card (via the Catalyst Control Center)? Does it matter?

b) go a step beyond that and perform a colorimetric calibration. Would Spyder 4 Express work here???

This is where it gets a little murky (and it shows my lack of understanding). The TFT Central recommends a 2-step approach: 1st optimize the starting point on hardware level and 2nd - profile the screen at the graphics card level (fine tuning). Is this approach justified???

How do you optimize the monitor settings - entering values by hand via the OSD following the Spyder readings?

Am I overcomplicating this?

Sorry for the long list; would appreciate practical feedback especially from the U2713HM owners.   I wish someone would have a detailed step-by-step procedure to do this

Thanks!!!

jacob

PC: XPS 8700, Win 8, 64-bit. AMD Radeon HD 7570 video card (1 G memory).

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow