Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cordon50
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?
RX100 versus XF1 Mostly Scientific Test
2 months ago

This is to share some scientific (mostly) testing of the RX100 and the Fuji XF1. I have been looking to the ideal combination of quality and portability for my own vacations, and decided to run some tests.

One of my main objectives is good dynamic range during the day. When traveling with the family we are not necessarily out during the best light. Consequently, I performed a few basic test in my home lab with Imatest. Disclaimer: My lab is not perfect, but does correlate well with results you can see at this site and others. I am using MTF50 as the benchmark, and JPEG's out of the camera, and base ISO.

Resolution: Sony wins here, but not by as much as you would think. 50% more pixels in real use than the XF1 in high resolution mode (2400 lp/ph versus 1950/ph).

Dynamic Range: Sony wins by about 1/2 stop assuming non-EXR mode

EXR Mode comparison-Resolution is now 1550 lp/ph. However, now the XF1 has 1+ more dynamic range.

Conclusion: I have decided to not bother with my higher end cameras for the next vacation, and just take both pocket cameras. One will be the backup. My e-PM2 will only be there for the ultra wide angle shots. Each has an advantage, and I am not sure which one to learn better for this trip. Either of these are better than my earlier DSLRs or negative film. The XF1 in EXR mode equals a Canon 20D with a great lens in resolution and has slightly better DR. High ISO is probably as good.

Canon EOS 20D Fujifilm XF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow