Two inexpensive remote controls for XZ1 and other cameras.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,189Gear list
Like?
Two inexpensive remote controls for XZ1 and other cameras.
9 months ago

The first one is just your inexpensive cabled remote shutter. Plugs into the USB port and triggers the shutter. A light press of the button acts like a half shutter press and the XZ1 will do whatever you have it set to do. When the XZ1 is in bulb mode, holding the button holds the shutter open, and it can be locked if you want. Cable is about a meter in length.

For me in the USA, less than $5 USD shipped from China on ebay. Cheap fun.

For $20 USD, I bought a remote control off ebay shown in the next picture. The radio receiver plugs into the hot shoe and shutter cable goes to the USB port. It has a power button and an LED that blinks when power is on.

The remote control has a slide switch to select self timer, bulb, shutter, and sequential shutter modes. The switch seems flimsy. The self timer is preset to around 5 seconds. To use bulb, press the button once to start the shutter and a second time to stop it.

Both units take 2 AAA batteries, which are not included, although there was a space in the box for them. There is a 4 position DIP switch inside either unit so two or more pairs can be used without interfering with each other.

I found the receiver blocks the pop-up flash on the XZ1. Indoors, I have found the radio works at 50 feet. You can also use the receiver as a remote control, albeit the cord is only 6 inches long, since it also has a shutter button on it.

This system also works on the newer PEN and OMD cameras. It may work on some older compacts too. How long it will work, who knows. Like I said, the mode switch seems flimsy.

I'm looking forward to the humming birds return next summer. Maybe I can get some photos around the feeder.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Olympus XZ-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow