Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started 5 months ago | Polls thread
Mark H
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813
Like?
Reality check/perspective....(!)
In reply to CAcreeks, 5 months ago

Quite honestly I find these so called 'inconveniences' simultaneously laughable, and an absolute shameful reflection on 'some' of the values of those who might consider them to be so.

Take a step or two back...

BD and similar technologies are an absolute luxury - a luxury barely even dreamt of by not all that recently departed past generations, nor even by vast swathes of some current generations.

Consider some of those not so recently departed generations, what they actually enjoyed, valued and endured - and sometimes even fought and died for.

And now we have people wasting their time/lives on Internet forums, listing and wingeing about some mind-numbingly trivial and inconsequential supposed 'inconveniences' of things like BD movies, and the 'big corporations' who make/offer/sell (and generally quite inexpensively) these luxuries of modern life.

Seriously - take a step back - hang heads in shame - get things in perspective!

CAcreeks wrote:

To summarize in order of user experience:

• box is hard to open
  • if rented, involves a trip outside the home
  • poor selection, especially current rental outlets
  • public library has old titles, but usually scratched up
  • region codes; some movies not available in my region
  • can't fast forward over FBI and Interpol warnings
  • interminable ads or "trailers" at the beginning
  • very slow menu selections
  • if purchased, boxes accumulate in the home
  • most movies have a recycled plot (so did Shakespeare!)

malch wrote:

Region codes, for example. I used to live in UK and have quite a lot of disks purchased there. My wife lived in China and we have those region coded disks too. So we obviously have to deal with PAL/NTSC as well as the region codes. We have kids who pretty good at scratching DVD's.

These are all additional reasons for ripping our disks to HDD. And that means dealing with all the rest of the copy protection nonsense.

Even the packaging, security seals, copyright warnings etc. offend as they scream "We're big corporations and don't f*** with us!". What a way to treat your customers? Ironically, the pirated copies are sans all of this crap and their users don't have to endure it at all.

Of course, all of this is surmountable. But compare it with Netflix where I cannot think of a single barrier to our full enjoyment of the service.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow