Your opinion on Blu-Ray?

Started 6 months ago | Polls thread
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,093
Like?
Re: practicalities of Blu-Ray archiving?
In reply to CAcreeks, 6 months ago

CAcreeks wrote:

Based on current Amazon prices, DVD+R costs $.25 a blank vs $.87 a blank for Memorex Blu-Ray, so BRR is actually cheaper!

Memory got a very bad reputation in the DVD world and I for one would not trust it for BluRay media.

I don't burn BluRay discs so I can't speak for them specifically, but in the DVD world I found that it was very important to test your burns by using a drive that could report raw error rates in conjunction with software like Nero DiskSpeed that could report them.   The problem with DVDs (and this would apply to BluRay as well) is that the disk can be riddled with errors but play perfectly because the ECC codes correct the problems on the fly.   But an error-riddled disk is much more susceptible to data loss because it only takes a slight degradation before things get so bad that the ECC codes are overwhelmed.  And some brands  of DVDs in conjunction with some burners are a lot more susceptible to degradation than others.

If you're buying BluRay disks because you value your data and you feel that they're less likely to degrade than hard drives, then I think you'd be pretty stupid to try to economize on the media.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow