My experience with too many m4/3 lenses

Started Feb 10, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ukeolo Regular Member • Posts: 108
My experience with too many m4/3 lenses

I want to share with you my experience in just few months in this m4/3 world.

I started last June with a used GX1. It took me a short while to understand that I do not like Panasonic jpeg colours (I am a jpeg shooter).. I found skin tones awful.

So I entered the Oly camera world: PL3. I spent the whole summer with it and found it great in terms of colour rendition, but I felt the 16mp GX1 sensor was better at high iso and in terms of resolution.. so finally got a PM2. I am very happy with it, great IQ, pocketable but still get the full control on every shot (I shoot in A 100% of my pics). I will jump on the EM10 as soon as it arrives in Europe, since I miss sometimes a viewfinder.

Let's come to the lenses.

I was using a Fuji X20 which has a 28-90 eq zoom. When I entered the m4/3 system I immediately got a P20 as a standard lens and Oly 45 for portrait. That's it!

But then I also got a 15mm bodycap lens: a cheap way to have a wideangle, I thought.

I loved the 20 and 45 but hated the bodycap.. and at the same time I learned about the Sigma 60.. so I sold the 45 and with more or less the same money I bought a P14 and Sigma 60, to complete my trinity with the 20.

I loved the 60 and I think the 14 is a great tiny lens ..but I rarely used it since I had my 20 on most of the times.

At that time I got a good deal on ebay on a Oly 17 2.8, which I needed because of the BAD banding the 20 caused on my PM2 (unbelievable). I ended up loving the FOV of the 17, and I think it has a very good IQ (yes!), but the focusing is slooooow...

In the meantime, I had used some old Praktica lenses with adapters and I loved the FOV of a 28mm... long story short: I also got a Sigma 30 and - surprise - ended up using this most of the time. Even more often of my banding-20!! The 30 is fast focusing, sharp more than enough, BUT it is only 2.8...

So, my dilemma was: finding a good lens, non-bading, sharp with fast internal focus in the 14-30 range, in order to be used as a standard lens for my PM2 (while I could count on the 60 for portraits).

I thus got a Panaleica 25 straight from Japan (good deal on ebay)... well... not sure I liked it. I mean great IQ and nothing wrong with it... but just I did not had the right feeling with it. Moreover: rumors on a smaller and cheaper Oly 25 were emerging...

Now I had to try the last option: Oly 17 f1.8. Well, I found my champion!

So: I ended up selling the P14, the Oly 17, the P20, the PL25 and the Sigma 30. I am finally happy with my Oly 17 f1.8 as a standard lens attached as my default lens on my PM2.

But it's not over.

Interestingly: when I sold the Panaleica 25 I got some money + a used Oly 45.. again! Well, I admit I was wrong when I initially sold it. This lens has a magic look. While the Sigma 60 is sharp, the Oly 45 is sharp and.. magic! I am now thinking of selling the Sigma..

After so many changes I am now back to my initial 'team': 1 normal-wide and 1 short-tele: I maintained the 45 for the tele and I now have a 17 f1.8 instead of the P20 for normal use.

Oh... I also got a 40-150 that I mainly use at 150... impressed so far by the performance of this cheap lens.

Lesson learned: primes make you (at least made me) a better photographer. But too many lenses are not good for me! 3 are ok: I usually walk out from home with camera and just 1 lens (depending on my feeling of the day) and then just try to have fun with it, struggling to get the most of my creativity in order to have a good set of keepers from my combo camera-lens of the day. I zoom a lot with my feet, and I am looking forward to get my em10 since i NEED a viewfinder.

Ok... I know that I will also get an Oly 25 sooner or later...

This will never ends, you know it.

Fujifilm X20 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AG
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow