Senior MemberPosts: 2,072Gear list
Like?
This is good and incisive. Thanks. (nt)
In reply to Paulmorgan, 8 months ago

Paulmorgan wrote:

TroiD wrote:

HappyVan wrote:

Where is the art in street photography?

Let me take the opportunity to comment on a major issue of street photography. By tradition, street photography (ala Eugene Atget) is objective and documentary.

Yet, the photographer must infuse his visions and intentions into his pictures. From this, comes the drama, humanity and wit of the pictures we love.

I have some difficulties when you say 'the photographer must'...

A crucial part of this synthesis lies in the details you choose to include in your masterpiece. It will reflect on your situational awareness and values.

This is what I look for. That there is a mind behind the camera.

Whether he/she is actively 'infusing his visions and intentions', or less actively trying simply to record what's there in front of him without becoming part of the picture, both approaches are legitimate. When the mind behind the camera touches the mind of the viewer, you may say you've approached something artistic. Or at least... interesting. But avoid being disappointed if a viewer doesn't 'get it'.

If you spend some time in this forum you'll come to see that SP means very different things to different people. To limit it by defining it into a little box would be a pity.

David

When the mind behind the camera touches the mind of the viewer, you may say you've approached something artistic. Or at least... interesting. But avoid being disappointed if a viewer doesn't 'get it'.

I like what Anders Petersen has to say, its an interesting interview that I`m sure I`ve posted once or twice before, its well worth seeing.

http://vimeo.com/34125446

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
smsNew
RedNew
(unknown member)
WowNew
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow