Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,517
Like?
Inexpensive mirrorless kits
5 months ago

I've been dithering a long time, but I'm seriously thinking about mirrorless now. I want a system more as a way to test the whole mirrorless stuff out, and I don't want to spend a bunch of money. I see B&H offers an E-PM2 with 2 kit lenses for around $400 US. That's about the cost of an Fuji X20 or a Canon G16. The kit lenses are the

• M.Zuiko 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 II R Lens
  • M.Zuiko ED 40-150mm f/4-5.6 R Lens

Before/If I commit, I'd like to know if this system is good enough for a proof of concept investigation? As an E30 user, am I buying too cheap a mirrorless camera to adequately test my needs? Am I setting myself up for failure?

Is there any information that rates the Zuiko Kit lenses and puts them into a hierarchy of quality?

I currently own an E30 with the 14-54 Mk I, the 9-18, and the 14-42 and 40-150 that originally came with the E500. I really love the 14-54, I use it virtually 95% of the time. It is very sharp and versatile., I occasionally use the 9-18 and I like it well enough but I'm not going to worry about the loss of its use for this purpose since I still have my DSLRs. I rarely use the 40-150 kit lens, but for a kit lens it is razor sharp in my mind. ( I know, its a kit lens, how good can it be? but MY copy is really, REALLY good). Will I be too disgusted with the image quality from the E-PM2 kit lenses?

Also I'm pretty sure I want the viewfinder, is it any good? Can I use the detachable flash off camera? Perhaps with an "L" bracket? Is the 4/3s adapter worth having?

Is there any re-sale info on M4/3s?

If I have to buy into a new lens system, would I be better off (or as well off) considering a different brand altogether? Are there other candidate brands I should look at?

I will post a similar but different query in the Open forum to seek input from non Olympus/Panasonic users.

-- hide signature --
Canon PowerShot G16 Fujifilm X20 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow