Like?
Re: Football fanboys must know something
In reply to Anders W, 7 months ago

Anders W wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

Pixnat2 wrote:

Panasonic is a huge corporation that have many divisions. The corporation's interest is that each division should be profitable.

When Panasonic camera division states they will not use PDAF on sensor, it doesn't mean at all that Panasonic sensor division will not produce it for other companies.

Panasonic Camera Division has a strategy. Panasonic Sensor Division has another. They are independent.

And you know this how? IMO, it would be foolish for a corporation to automatically allow each division to have completely independent strategies.

For example, Olympus officials have emphasized synergies between their imaging and medical divisions. In most, if not all, companies, divisions have strategies that are reviewed and often modified by top management with the goal of maximizing overall corporate profits. Thus, the extent to which division strategies are independent is decided by the top brass.

Panasonic sensor division has its own clients : Panasonic Camera Division, Olympus Camera Division and surely other clients. If a client pay for a product and they have the technology to make it, I can't imagine they won't make it.

It's only commercial relationships.

For example, look at Sony. Nikon ordered a 36Mpix FF sensor from Sony. They made it for the D800. Two years after, their Camera Division bought this sensor to put it in the A7R.

Talk was (at the time) that Nikon bought a one year exclusive arrangement, which was why Sony didn't use the sensor at the same time.

When Olympus bought the sensor from Sony for the E-M5, Panasonic Sensor division lost a client. So they probably made a better offer to Olympus to produce their future sensors.

Possibly. It could also be the case that Panasonic's R&D has led to more competitive sensors than they were able to make at the time Olympus was sourcing the sensor for the E-M5.

True. Olympus is shopping sensors around, like Nikon, Pentax, etc. But it was one of the main client of Panasonic Sensor Division. I don't think loosing a client is a good thing for a corporation. So logically the goal of Panasonic Sensor Division was to get its main client back. Apparently, they made it. In the same time, this developpement is profitable for Panasonic Camera Division, which use those sensors now. A win-win solution for Panasonic Corporation.

The GH series of sensors was always in the same league as the Sonys. Panasonic has not really upped their game so very much.

Hmm. Not sure I agree with either point. This was Panasonic MFT versus Sony APS-C three years ago

and this is Panasonic MFT versus Sony APS-C now

I would hazard a guess that with the E-M5 both Sony and Panny tendered, but Sony offered a better deal. Next time round, Panny got the design win. Just like with Nikon, Toshiba get the win for the D7100 and D5200 but Sony did with the D5300 and D3300 (in the case of the D3300, displacing Nikon's own product).

-- hide signature --

Bob

OK, I got the last bit wrong. Panasonic GH1 was in the same league as Sony and they have upped their game.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow