centercurtain
Junior MemberPosts: 45Gear list
Like?
Re: Magic Lantern Firmware
In reply to jkoch2, 8 months ago

jkoch2 wrote:

Lanidrac wrote:

Who are 'magic lantern hacks'?

Magic Lantern is a company that has designed firmware to enable the Canon 5D to capture video in RAW uncompressed format. This allows a $2.5K DSLR to capture video with IQ on par with $250k Hollywood cameras, at least at 1080p resolution. The files are so huge and difficult to render, though, that the tool is not useful to the wedding videographer who has a slender budget and short turnaround calendar.

Though more typically 'Magic Lantern' refers to the software, and it is not a 'firmware', per se, as it is never actually written to the device, though the way it is applied to the camera makes not much difference to the common user. Semantics aside, close enough.

The software is now a lot more than just about raw video on 5D. In fact, for me, the video stuff is irrelevant, I like a lot of the many other features (or in the userguide) it can provide. Or could, if it was available to my 70D.

Some of those features are so "obvious" that it is really a shame Canon hasn't implemented them, many of them were possible and known stuff years ago (like better bracketing options, or arbitrary long bulb timer). Some are quite neat tricks, like audio remote shot, or motion detect, routing microphone audio to an output for monitoring; I have no expectations that big old companies would figure such things out, or if they do (by copying someone else), they claim huge inventions and patents and oh my... And some are just things Canon has crippled (or left out) intentionally in the firmwares, while ML just uncripples them (or brings them back).

Of course, all that info is easy to find with a simple google search.

centercurtain's gear list:centercurtain's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
yes!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow