Pulled trigger on Sony 70-400G2 (instead of Tamron 150-600mm)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
arie
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?
Pulled trigger on Sony 70-400G2 (instead of Tamron 150-600mm)
7 months ago

This is more of a diary entry than anything, but what the hell. I gotta get this off my chest.

The thought of spending a lot of money (for most people anyway) on a lens is always a little scary and I gotta me honest that I'm a little queasy/embarrassed about it because it's the most I've spent on a piece of glass. I have experience in the pro market, so I guess I can justify the purchase and from what I've heard it's a stellar lens. I found the Sony on feeBay's UK site at a little less than the US site, so went with that.

The top zoom I've been using is the excellent Minolta 80-200 HSG. I really like the lens but the G2 will make it obsolete so I'm 99% sure I'll sell it. The Minolta focus is a little loud and sudden, but the glass is excellent and does a great job for an older design. I recommend you check it out.

I was looking at getting the 150-600mm Tamron, the new, highly rated kid on the block, but the more I thought about it the more I was considering other options. What bothered me is the short end of 150mm. Not that it's bad, but for me it would be too long to be used in some situations. But people don't get it for the short end but the 600mm long end for wildlife photography, etc. Still, I think I'll get more real life use out of a 70-400 than 150-600, thus my decision. Course, the Tamron is 1/2 the price of the Sony, so that's something to consider too. Looks like Tamron has done an amazing thing with the 600mm.

Can't wait to start shooting with the 400mm. This should work well on the A99 and will act as a 150-600mm surrogate on my A77 if needed. Picked up the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x a short while back and wonder if it'll work on the Sony.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow