NX1 rumors

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ttbek
Contributing MemberPosts: 929Gear list
Like?
Re: NX1 rumors
In reply to pixelpushing, 5 months ago

pixelpushing wrote:

You'll get no argument from me about older Android versions. I stayed well away from Android until it reached 2.3 or so (I forget what shipped on the first Galaxy Note).

And yes, the Note 10.1 has a huge battery (flat and wide), but even with a smaller battery reviews seemed positive (no pun intended) about the GNX battery life. It was one thing they all pretty much lauded. Startup times and somewhat clunky swapping between camera and core Android UI shells were less well received, as was the nutball pricing. No doubt, the thing could have used some refining.

A properly designed NX with standard external dials, fully optimized and engineered/updated Android shell would, IMO, be a fantastic device. The Galaxy NX missed that mark, with the caveat that I've yet to try one myself, it seems to me that it wasn't such a huge disaster as some here make it out to be - nor that Android OS was the primary culprit.

Well, you might be right, but even under all the Java, Android isn't running a real time kernel. This is unnecessary for many things, but for a high end camera I think it's something to really consider carefully. It's not something I would worry about for a point and shoot, but for a flagship model I would. I haven't really looked into how easy/difficult it is to convert the Android kernel to a real time one without breaking anything. Briefly it looks like you may also need to replace the Java runtime environment as well if you want real time.  I haven't read this paper yet, but I'll get to it later today:

http://rtdroid.cse.buffalo.edu/techreport/mobisys-tech.pdf

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Nikon Coolpix L3 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Taffy MOD
Taffy MOD
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow