Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,427Gear list
Like?
Re: How safe is back up to HDD on a trip??
In reply to bill hansen, 5 months ago

bill hansen wrote:

Thanks Mel - Looks interesting. I'll have to check it out further. Have you used it, or do you know anyone who has used it?

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

I use it every time I travel. I had a Kingston MobileLite that somehow corrupted the FAT on 2 consecutive copying attempts (got all files back with CardRescue), and Kingston was very late with an iOS7 compatible app. Now I always write protect all SD cards with the RAV device.

I back up to Toshiba Canvio Basics hard drives, usually 750GB. You MUST format them in an MS compatible format - the RAV device cannot write to an OSX drive.

One point - if you try to copy more than perhaps 100 files at a time off an SD card to a hard drive, the copy process stops - probably a buffer issue. Better to do it in tranches.

There's probably nothing wrong with the Kingston - I just got spooked, and was bummed out by the lack of an iOS7 app to run it (now available), so I bought the RAV. If you send me your mailing address in a private message, I'l stick the Kingston in a padded envelope and mail it to you, gratis, to play with during those cold Ithaca nights...

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow