Suggestions on a tablet for pp? a few q's...

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
patriotspyke
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?
Re: let me try again: why do YOU say Android tabs are "useless devices"? (n/t)
In reply to abortabort, 7 months ago

abortabort wrote:

abortabort wrote:

seraiah wrote:

abortabort wrote:

joel artino wrote:

You won't be sorry and you won't second guess yourself in a few months.

Case closed, truly.

Joel

Except there is a very good chance they will.

Case closed? Because you say the same thing over and over? Yeah, that's how things should work.

That's my personal experience with them. Others might be able to suggest otherwise with their own reasons. If I want a tablet device to edit images on the go, I don't want a limited quasi-app or have to use multiple apps and then figure out how to 'sync' somehow these devices AND not be able to transfer any of my edits / libraries over to my main editing machine when I get back home. Using a Windows tablet is simply like using an ultrabook in a tablet form factor. I can use LR on a regular USB hard drive with all my libraries saved that I can plug straight into my (Mac) laptop and continue editing, no exporting, no having to buy external devices that often do less than they advertise, or have cluncky work arounds to get stuff in and out of them.

It isn't about whether an iPad can do it, it is how it actually fits in with my other gear and my workflow. Yes I could probably do an edit of sorts on an iPad, but with non-destructive editing I have to have that edit information come across to my main system and it simply won't. So when I go to edit 'properly' I have to start from scratch - This makes the whole editing on the go process completely pointless to me.

Android has even less useful apps in my experience and is no way near as mature as the iPad. But Windows has been around a lot longer than both of them put together and has by far the biggest range of fully fledged professional applications available. For me I just use Sketchbook Pro, Lightroom, Photoshop plus web browser, email etc and that's it on my PP tablet. If I want a general surfing device there are better options (the iPad definitely being one of them) but for image manipulation there is nothing close to a Windows tablet (oh except the wonderful but bloody expensive Axiom Mac converted tablets - One of those would be the best of the best, but sadly out of my budget).

You might want to consider a Macbook Air, if you want all you want, especially on the next refresh.

I've been pretty resistant to the current 11 inch Macbook Air because I'm hoping Apple can solve the power issues for a retina screen.

Why? I get all I want out of my Windows tablet that runs the same PP software but comes with a higher resolution 1080p IPS display, has a detachable keyboard to morph it into an equally powerful tablet, that has not only touch but a pressure sensitive, highly accurate (higher than screen resolution) digitizer pen that works regardless of what application I am running. Why would I want a low res, low quality display, with fixed keyboard, no touch, no digitizer, laptop running the same basic hardware using the same PP software at twice the price? Other than that it's an Apple and you seem to think that that is what everyone should buy?

For what it's worth I have a 13" rMBP, a 15" Quad i7 MBP and an 8-Core Mac Pro plus a 3rd gen Retina iPad... None of which offer the particular hardward feature set I prefer in a travel device for PP on the go. I wish they did do an iPad Pro with Wacom Digitizer and full Mac OS X, but they won't ever do that. I don't particularly care about Windows or anything else, my tablet is purely a travel PP device with a decent web browser thrown in to the bargain. It sure is a lot faster than the iPad, even for simple web browsing.

Oh and having a proper file manager and ability to just plug in and use external storage devices is the kicker.

To do the same thing as my tablet for Mac would require a MBA plus a Wacom Cintiq 13", which is not only getting to well over 4 times what my tablet cost, it is close to 4 times the weight.

But thank you for the suggestion.

You forgot one other flaw with the ipad (the shift key does not show the font moves to CAPS)

-- hide signature --

patriotspyke's gear list:patriotspyke's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow