best overall lens for g5 and general newbie questions, mistake for person on budget???

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yankeeslover
Regular MemberPosts: 117
Like?
best overall lens for g5 and general newbie questions, mistake for person on budget???
10 months ago

hello. I own a Lumix G5 that I purchased 7 months ago. I have the two kit lens.. I moved up from a P/S to the G5. I will admit that I have no dreams or plans of being a professional. I was just looking for a better overall camera that would be good on a budget and still allow decent outdoor soccer pics of my daughter..

what I have found is that I am getting frustrated with always changing the lens. I have the 14-42(or45) whatever the kit was and the 45-150? with kids running around it just seems I always have to change a lens just to get the perfect pic(I understand this is the purpose of a dsl) What I didn't do my homework on and I was wrong here was the cost of upgrading lens. a lot of the lenses that im looking at outside the kit lens cost just as much if not more then the initial body itself. I didn't relize that this would continue to cost more and more money to do what I wanted it to do...Once again, this is my fault I should have researched this. can anyone recommend a decent budget minded lens for me? do they make lenses that have more of a range of zoom?

Last question, knowing what I said above, and being frustrated with the cost and the constant lens changing would I have been better off with a bridge camera? say a Fuji hs50? or do bridge cameras not do outside sports action like my G5 does?

I also have a chance to sell my G5 for a decent price and instead purchase the new canon SL1.. the kit lens with that is 18-55 and 75-300. im wondering if it would be cheaper in longrun. I understand that doesn't solve my frustrations with changing lens, I just wonder if it being a canon dslr if it would be easier and cheaper to find lenses in the future... im assuming out of the box that the canon would take better pics then the G5 with having a bigger chip?

Canon EOS 100D (EOS Rebel SL1) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow