Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 235Gear list
Like?
RX10: Anyone try to hike with it?
6 months ago

I'm an amateur photographer and have a vacation booked at Glacier National Park this fall, and am a bit concerned about my current camera, the Panny FZ200, being up to the task of capturing the enormous and spectacular landscapes.

My primary use for the FZ200 is for birding.  I have a Nikon teleconverter attached to it to achieve just over 1000mm fl.  I shoot primarily F4 since the camera has a built in teleconverter mode to assist with stabilization and it forces F4 when you select it.  (Photos tend to be a bit soft at F2.8 with the TC anyway, so F4 is suitable).  With all that reach, my keeper rate is fairly low because of atmospheric issues as well as lack of tripod when hiking.  So, while my reward for a good shot is very high the number of shots that are deleted is equally frustrating.

I've been studying the Sony RX10, and at nearly $1300 a purchase I am hesitant to make.  Then again I don't want to visit the park with the wrong camera.

Hiking in Glacier is said to be significantly more difficult than what I'm accustomed to.  Lugging around the heavy FZ200+Nikon TC will be a chore, and possibly hazardous.  I'm thinking the RX10 may be the right solution, but would appreciate some feedback.

Questions are as follows:

1. So, what are the owners of the RX10 doing?  Do you hang it around your neck on long hikes? Do you use a sling arrangement? 
  2. Can the RX10 be just as suitable to capture wildlife to the point where I could leave my FZ200+TC at home?
  3. Can you crop a 200mm photo to match an FZ200's reach and still have decent quality?  (Ok, maybe not cropping to 1000mm, but to 500 or 600mm?)

Many thanks for reading this.  I look forward to responses!

MGP

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Pentax K-r Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow