Struggling with D7100

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Westmill
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Re: Possible
In reply to chary zp, 5 months ago

It should be noted that you can fine tune more than one lens and that the camera knows which lens is fitted. So it is a simple case of set and forget. I have one D7100 with the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 attached. That is the only lens that was OK and did not need fine tuning.

Then I have my second D7100 body that shares 3 lenses. The 18-140 60mm F2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 F2.8. Both the 18-140 and 60mm only needed small tweaks to obtain optimum performance but the Sigm 50-150 was all but unusable unless the subject had a bit of distance and well covered with DOF. Now it is perhaps the sharpest of them all at any aperture and distance and zoom range and in any light.

Despite the danger of planes falling from the sky I recommend anyone to check to make sure there lens is set to perform at its best with cameras such as the D7100.

Use a big brick wall, like part of your house. Best when you have something like a wire running down it. Shoot wide open and at the long end if using a zoom. Use the center focus point and focus on the wire. Use a good working distance ! It is no good shooting too close because even a slight variation will magnify greatly at over a long distance. Take your shot carefully. Then simply zoom in on the rear screen all the way then back two. You are not checking for sharpness so no need for tripod etc. You are checking to see where it focused. It may be focused just in front or could be just behind, in which case, it needs adjusting accordingly. If its bang on then obviously it is fine. Constantly repeat this process at slightly different angles and distances. Once your happy you can set.

Shoot the wall at an angle ! about 35 -45 degrees will do. No point in shooting a wall flat on. When you have finished, you can check by taking two shots of the wall flat on... First shot using live view and the second shot as normal. If the lens is correct then it will be hard to see any difference.

Westmill's gear list:Westmill's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow