Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Cogset
Senior MemberPosts: 1,249Gear list
Like?
Is Aperture library getting too big?
10 months ago

I've got about 37,000 images in my library and it doesn't seem as snappy as of late.  I'm actually fine with it for now, but it made me wonder if it is truly starting to slow down because of size or what.

• Is there a rule of thumb as to when you should consider having multiple libraries?
  • Is there performance hit for Managed vs Referenced?  (I'm 99% referenced)
  • Is there a way to force Aperture to use a selected drive for "cache" or as a "scratch" area? There's nothing in the Preferences that indicate you can, but maybe there's a tweak that would help?

Again, I'm not at the point of it being a true issue but am wondering if I'm getting there.

Note: 16GB of RAM, SSD for OS (and Aperture of course).  Images are stored external ThunderBolt drive. RAM is not the problem and I believe the external Thunderbolt drive is fine (it's a Lacie 2BIG with two 4TB drives mirrored).

-- hide signature --
 Cogset's gear list:Cogset's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4s Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +17 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow