Lenstip tests the DA 20-40 F2.8-4 Limited lens!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,183Gear list
Like?
Lenstip rambles in absolutes
In reply to DAVID MANZE, 7 months ago

DAVID MANZE wrote:

Hi guys,

After a disappointing review of this lens on Pentax Forums in terms of their results at the 40mm end regarding edge performance, I'm pleased to see the review from my favourite site LensTip has just been published, here's the link!

http://www.lenstip.com/2078-news-Pentax_HD_DA_20-40_mm_f_2.8-4.0_ED_Limited_DC_WR_-_lens_review.html

Thank you for the link.

The website rambles in absolutes — like there is an absolute final measure that summarises a lens in terms of photographic value. It's ridiculous.

What is even funnier, the counterpart lens — Siggy 18-35 — performs worse and is a lesser choice in some respects. Yet the conclusion is absolute and not in favour of 20-40.

What a nerdy websites, detached from any common sense.

As many have said above, and drawn a much finer picture: for those who like the DA 20-40, it is a remarkable lens made for 3D rendition of landscapes and portraits, where 2D charts and sharpness tests are of little use in judgement because if they are the absolute measure, the picture would be rendered flat and aesthetically unappealing. Like landscapes taken with macro lenses – yuck!

For those who prefer Siggy for its big size, fast aperture and lots of flare as a bonus, they cannot go wrong with it either.

-- hide signature --

Madamina, il catalogo è questo; Delle belle che amò il padron mio; un catalogo egli è che ho fatt'io; Osservate, leggete con me.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow