Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
dicklaxt
Contributing MemberPosts: 590
Like?
1st Purple Martins of 2014 with SX50
9 months ago

I was sitting outside yesterday about 1PM with a cup of coffee and my trusted Beagle watching the sky's. I host a colony of Purple Martins each year and was anxiously awaiting their return migration. They were 3 weeks late when compared to their 2013 arrival.

The weather was a dark overcast and I saw them coming when they were 75-100 feet distant. I was able to grab the camera and get off a couple of quick shots. I don't know if this is a bonded pair or not but they went in the gourd for  short rest before going out and feeding the rest of the afternoon. They appear to be a little skinny, but after flying 3 or 4 thousand miles who wouldn't be.

I had a terrible image to work with but was able to get a record copy for the 1st back photo. I'm not sure if she is blind in her left eye or if that's her protective second eyelid. This bird is about the size of a sparrow but with a longer tail and greater wingspan.

Please excuse the image,,, better images to come with the arrival of better weather and many more birds. This was at about 25'

dick

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow