DP Quattro: Sigma official announcement

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 32,972Gear list
Like?
Re: Not exactly gone...
In reply to DMillier, 7 months ago

DMillier wrote:

I mean a CFA camera works out colour by combing information that is not all co-located at the same spatial point + it has half the number of red and blue pixels. The new foveon now has a big discrepancy between the number of colour detectors similar to CFA sensors but they are still co-located at the same spatial point. So, no X3 architecture anymore and interpolation involved but different from CFA as no adjustment for offset pixel locations in required.

What it all means in practice, I don't know.

Ok, I sort of see what you are saying now on "same spatial point", I guess I am not counting that you measure full color at each photo site at the highest resolution, but I sort of see what you meant.

What it means in my book is an improvement in ISO performance (2 stops? 2.5 stops? 1? 3?) and making B&W really good, and color will be better but not as tack sharp as it used to be in the best case of the previous sensor.  It just can't be.

But the photos will probably still carry some high level of perceived detail, given luminance is sampled at 19.6 spatial locations in the blue channel, and the eye is much more sensitive to luminance than color.. it really depends how Sigma plays this- I suppose they can try to guess the luminance better though they also have to use it for color.

Hmm Maybe treat color in terms of the HUE as 4.9 megapixels, while the luminance is ditched mainly by the blue channel umm that could introduce its own interesting artifacts, though that would probably be a "poor mans' algorithm to decode this new Foveon.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow